Friday, July 8, 2011

1999 Leroy Bourgogne Rouge

 Let the frog nonsense begin! I love this wine. If this is Regionale then I don't need to buy 1er or Grand Cru again. Leroy is one of the finest Burgundy producers, so even their regionale is of superb quality. At $50 it is an affordable treat. When you break the foil, expect something ugly! But do not be alarmed, this is what it should look like. Leroy have adopted the wet cork approach which seems to work, I haven't had a faulty bottle so far. The corks are completely sodden in wine then sealed. Be sure to wipe all the funky growth ffrom the top of the cork before pulling it. I decanted this wine for 30mins, then enjoyed it over 2hrs, and it kept getting better! Impressive for a wine of this age and so called inferior fruit :). Rich Oriental spice and black current. Super fine tannin that lasts an eternity and succulent big mouth feel. It is showing some aged characteristics and some of the primary fruit is missing, but what is left is still divine and rewarding. I will buy this while I can. 90/100. This wine purchased from The Wine Emporium, Brisbane.

No comments:

Post a Comment