Sunday, June 26, 2011

1996 Penfolds Bin 42, 2008 Gembrook Hill Pinot Noir, 2010 Lucy Margaux Monomeith Vineyard Pinot Noir and 2008 PHI Lusatia Park Vineyard Chardonnay.

We caught up with some friends in Brisbane last night and went through more wine than we should have. These we the stand outs. I contributed the PHI and Gembrook Hill. The Phi was just spot on, delicate fruit and acid, restrained oak and perfect finish. 89/100 and I would definitely by this vintage again (the 2009 is not to this standard) $40. The Gembrook Hill is truly outstanding. The deceiving pale colour is packed with black fruit and spice on the nose. The taste is seamless and delicate and was enjoyed by everyone. 90/100 and would by this wine over and over $45. From there we opened a rare Bin 42, from memory there has only been two vintages produced. The cork broke into a million pieces, dry and brittle. It ticked all the boxes on the nose but sadly, it could have been any aged wine, nothing jumped out and wowed us. But I can now say I have tried it. I will reserve a score as I think it was past its best, and at roughly $400 I wouldnt go out of my way to track it down. Finally, we opened a new found favorite of mine, Monomeith Vineyard Pinot Noir. We didnt plan on having this wine which explains drinking it after the Bin 42, but this wine is big enough to hold its own. A truly old school making method with no fining and filtering. Beautiful nose and massive mouth feel. I wish I could be more descriptive, but by this stage we were getting quite happy and loud, just trust me its something special. 90/100 and at around $40 its well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment